Summer of eResearch 2012 - Deadline extension - 21 September 2012
$5000 summer scholarships are available for advanced software engineering and computer science students to work on eresearch projects. eResearch is an increasingly important field and you will be expanding its frontiers.
About the programme
Summer of eResearch is your best chance as a software engineering or computer science student to work on scientific applications as a student. You will be producing software which has a direct impact on scientists all of the country and potentially worldwide.
Here is a selection of the projects which have been submitted.
- Develop a system to monitor environmental and atmospheric sensor networks with NIWA
- Support crowdsourced, citizen science by contributing to open source software with researchers from The University of Auckland
- Create a digital repository for New Zealand’s social sciences
- Develop tools to support research into cutting-edge networking research
- Simplify tools for researchers learning bioinformatics
- Expand access to content held within DigitalNZ
The Summer of eResearch team is now extending the application deadline for students until 21 September. To apply, visit http://tinyurl.com/SoeR2012StudentApplication.
What to expect
As a student participating in Summer of eResearch, you will work full time with a small team to work on a project that benefits a research community. The team will be mentored by a professional researcher, with whom the team will develop requirements and implement the system. Successful teams will also be invited to present in future eResearch conferences in Australia and New Zealand.