Summer of eResearch is a national programme for enhancing New Zealand's eResearch communities while strengthening the prospects for young software engineers. The programme provides a fully paid scholarships for excellent students to work on a project that will benefit a wider research community. We are now open for proposals.
The team invites:
- students to apply for scholarships
- researchers to propose projects
- institutions to facilitate logistics, such as a desk
What projects are usually worked on?
Some examples of relevant projects could include:
- accessing and analysing shared datasets and databases that are too large to host on your local desktop, and where there are multiple users from across your national research community who are involved in various aspects of the data analysis
- building a simple graphical user interface so that your less computing skilled research colleagues can carry out analyses that you are repeatedly doing for them
- building a web portal to share nationally significant research datasets, and providing basic data access protocols to allow others to build on top of this data
What are we looking for?
Students should be competent programmers engaged in post-graduate study. Successful students will have excellent academic credentials and an interest in science. Preference will be provided to students who are considering joining the research sector professionally.
Excellent projects have a well-defined scope have benefiting a research community as their purpose. Students have a software engineering, rather than a scientific background, and expectations should be set accordingly. Please note though that Summer of eResearch does not support the development of research codes.
Students need a supportive work environment. This means that the host will be able to provide a work space for someone working full time. This incluse being able to get the students connected to the local IT infrastructure and will be supportive of weekly video conferences amongst Summer of eResearch participants.
Please email email@example.com for more information. The team is very happy to answer any questions.